If there is one thing we enjoy at christmas it is a nice homemade christmas cake. We have been busy preparing and baking our cake ready for this christmas. Last year I prepared our cake about the same time of year and everyone that tasted it said it was very tasty and really enjoyed it.
Ingredients we used
1kg mixed dried fruits
Zest and juice of 1 lemon
Zest and juice of 1 orange
You can use any alcohol of your choice we used brandy
200g light soft brown sugar
175g plain flour
100g ground almonds
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp mixed spice
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves
100g flaked almonds
4 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
- We started off making our christmas cake by pre-heating the oven to 130c, we then added the dry fruit, butter, sugar and brandy in a large saucepan, set over a medium heat, we then brought it to boil, we then lowered the heat and left it simmering for about 5 minutes.
- While the fruit was simmering we double lined a cake tin with grease proof paper.
- After the fruit mix had been simmering for about 5 minutes we tipped it into a large bowl and left it to cool for about half an hour.
- Once the fruit mix had cooled off we then added the rest of the ingredients stirring the ingredients in well, we then put the mix into our tin, covered with grease proof paper and tied with string to keep it covered, then placed it into the oven for 2 hours.
- Once the cake had been in the oven for 2 hours we removed it and allowed it to cool off, we poked holes in it with skewers to make pockets for when we add our alcohol.
- We will be adding alcohol to our cake by pouring over two table spoons of brandy every fortnight. We have wrapped our cake in cling film, we will be icing our cake and decorating it a week before christmas.