6 Tips For Keeping Your Sports Loving Family Hydrated
We all know we need to stay hydrated, especially when we are participating or watching sporting events outdoors. We take bottles of water with us on our adventures, but we really give it little thought beyond that. When we are enjoying our outdoor adventures, we are paying more attention to the hiking trails, fishing spots, and biking than how many drinks we have taken from our water bottles. The truth is, even in winter it is easy to become dehydrated, especially for teenagers.
When you venture out, make sure you have the right equipment. You can read reviews on clothing and gear for outdoor activity on Hikers On Run. Sooner or later will find yourself in a spot where your gear must kick in and protect your body. So make sure everyone is protected.
The European Food Safety Authority or EFSA advises that men should drink 2.5 litres of water per day. Women are advised to drink 2.0 litres of water per day. This is made up by drinking 70% to 80% in water form and getting the other 20% to 30% from the foods we eat. This is the normal amount of water you need. While doing extreme activities that cause us to lose water through perspiration, we should increase the intake.
Questions your teens will ask you
- If all drinks have water in them, why can’t I just have a soda or tea?
Water is the only fluid that has no calories, no caffeine, and no sugars. Drinking these drinks increase your caloric intake and drinks loaded with caffeine actually increase your need for (additional) water. The British Nutrition Foundation has set guidelines for drinks and water is the only drink listed as “drink plenty of”.
- I have been sweating, should I drink an energy drink?
An energy drink can put the electrolytes back in your body when you have lost too much water, too quickly. If you are hydrated before you exert yourself, that does not usually happen. However, if you have been exercising in an extreme sport for 1-hour, you can make use of an energy drink.
- What are the signs of dehydration?
- Nausea & vomiting
- Vision problems
- Extreme thirst
6 Tips To Staying Hydrated
1. drink continuously.
a. Do not wait until you feel thirsty. You should be sipping water throughout your adventure to stay ahead of the game.
2. Eat fruits and veggies that contain a lot of water such as:
- Orange slices
Bonus tip: Use a blender to turn your water-packed melons, fruit, and veggies into a smoothie for a delicious breakfast and a water boost for your body.
3. Set a goal to drink 5 fluid ounces every 15-20 minutes.
4. Drink your water before you begin your meal.
a. This ensures that you will have room in your stomach for your water and will prevent yourself from overeating.
5. Set the timer on your watch to sound hourly. This will remind you to take a water break.
6. Skip caffeine on the day of your adventure.
a. Caffeine found in coffee or tea (and other products) act as a diuretic and actually expel the water you have consumed.
Bonus Tip: Teach your teens to get in the habit of paying attention to the color of their urine. If it is light yellow, they are hydrated. The darker it gets the more water they should consume.
Usually dehydration is little more than an inconvenience and a damper on the fun. But it can become serious if it is not addressed quickly. Hydration has a direct effect on the muscles. Continual dehydration could damage the skeletal muscles. However, muscle cramps are common even in the early stages of dehydration. That is not a lot of fun when you are on a mountain trail.
When you are exercising outdoors in the winter months, the cool air may trick you into thinking you are okay. Just because you do not feel as hot and sweaty as you would in the warmer months, does not mean you do not need water.
Make it a habit to sip water throughout every day, and that habit will serve you well when you are on an adventure.