Your bedroom has to be a cosy, comfortable space to relax and enjoy. You sleep here, you rest here and it’s the place where you wind down after a long day at work. A bedroom should be soft, soothing and muted in its decor, and the lighting should be just as soft as the decor you choose.
The first decision that you have to make for a bedroom is the lighting that you choose. Some people choose to bring in an electrician to rewire the house and introduce new lighting to the room, but the first question you must ask yourself is what type of light you need for the space. There are ceiling fixtures and accent lights, task lights and standing lamps and they all have a place in a bedroom. The light that you choose needs to balance the natural light that flows through from the windows and an interior designer is the best person who can help you to get that balance right. So, with that in mind, here are a few tips to help you to choose the right bedroom lighting.
- Ceiling Lights. When you have a ceiling fitting installed, you should consider a modern pendant or spotlight, or a classical chandelier if you want to have a home that looks more luxurious. The lighting that you choose should have an LED bulb or two to really illuminate the room and save money at the same time. Consider the size of the lighting based on the size of the room and choose a ceiling light fitting that matches the rest of the room, too.
- Reading Lights. Sitting in bed with a good book is one of the many pleasures in life, but without the right reading lights, you have no functions in your room. A wall sconce is the perfect addition to the bedroom if you want to read in bed, and you don’t have to have an old-fashioned one. You can choose modern sconces and enhance the look of the bedroom. Ask your electrician for best placement before you go ahead and install anything.
- Accent Lighting. Your bedroom should have a relaxing air to it and lamps will help you to do it. Whether you have standing lamps or dresser lamps, you can soften the look of the room with a gentle glow in the corner or next to the bed. There are plenty of table lamps that will help you to enhance the decor and the look of the room, and these accents will add to the room, too.
- Natural Lighting. Natural light can help create a more relaxed and comfortable atmosphere in the room, as well as saving energy by reducing the need for artificial lighting during the day. Consider installing windows or skylights to allow natural light to enter the room, and use window accessories such as shutters or blinds to control the amount of light that enters the space. You can find a wide selection of high-quality shutters and blinds online at stores such as abcblinds.com.au.
- Size Matters. When it comes to bedroom lighting, think about the size and shape of the lampshades and the bulbs. Too big, and you end up with ridiculous looking lights in your room, and too small, and you don’t get the lighting that you need. You need to illuminate the space and the best way to do that is to measure the space properly before you go for any installations. Choose wisely for the best look.