Make moving house easier
If you know that you are moving house then you will also know how important it is for you to try and get everything sorted out well in advance. You also need to make sure that you are putting the work in to try and arrange your moving company, and pack up your belongings as well. This is easier said than done and this is especially the case when you have so much on the go as it is right now. If you want to avoid all of this hassle and fuss then there are a few things that you can do about it.
When you are moving house, you really don’t want to move items that you know you are going to throw away as soon as you arrive. For this reason, you need to sort through everything and you also need to make sure that you get rid of everything that you don’t think you’ll need as well. When you are able to do this, you can then feel confident knowing that your move is going to go smoothly and you also know that you aren’t taking all of your clutter to your brand new home as well.
It is so important that you are able to picture your new home and whether or not you are going to picture your furniture in there. The owner of the last house should have given you a document which gives you the dimensions of every single room in the home and this gives you the information you need to try and work out what will fit and where. If you can’t find room for something then there is a high chance that you will need to sell it or even give it away. When you do this, you can then feel confident knowing that everything else will fall into place.
If you can, you should always hire a moving company. If you don’t then this can cause you real issues at a later date. After all, if you happen to break something then it won’t be insured and you will have absolutely no cover when it comes to your insurance either. If you do hire a moving company then you know that they will be able to cover everything for you and they can also give you the help and support you need when it comes to getting everything packed up and loaded too. On top of this, they can save you a lot of time and they can also work with you to make sure that you are more than happy with the service that you have been given so you won’t have any issues there. Companies such as Grange Removals are great for that.
Identify your Breakables
Most of your items can go right into boxes and this is great, but at the end of the day, you do still need to try and work hard to identify any breakables you have. If you don’t then you run the risk of having them shoved into a box and then crushed, so doing this is the best way to get around that.
Please follow and like us:
Ways to reduce the stress of moving house
Anyone that has ever moved house would most probably agree that it is one of the most challenging lifes events, both physically and emotionally that anyone can go through, even more so if you have children.
Moving house can be extremely stressful as there is a lot of changes happening and unfamiliarity to deal with. This can lead to stress and anxiety if not careful. It is important to make sure moving does not become to overwhelming.
We recently moved house and was a mix of emotions. We was happy but also sad, excited but not. Tears on moving day was happy ones but a few sad ones too. Our moving post and reasons for moving can be read here.
We would like to share a few tips on how to have a stress-free house move.
Our top ten tips are:
- Our top tip would be to write an action plan as far in advance as possible as come closer to the moving date you wont be thinking straight and will have 1001 things going round in your head. At least with the plan in place it will help ease some of the stress for you and it is even on paper for any volunteers you may have to come and help.
- As soon as you have a date set shop around and get your removal company/vans booked ASAP. It would be awful if forgotten or left to the last-minute and there is none available. Plus it would be a tick off that huge to-do list.
- Book time off work to allow yourself time. Moving can not only be exhausting but it also gives you time to adjust to your new home and neighbours.
- Book re-direction of your mail and start making a list of whom to inform of your new address.
- Put a moving day box aside to keep to hand on the big day and fill with handy things such as, medication, drinks, snacks, phone chargers etc. It is important to have means of contact should anything go wrong as well as keeping hydrated and some snacks to hand.
- Don’t make the boxes too heavy as the removal men won’t be too happy. If possible borrow or hire a sack barrow as this would be most welcomed when it comes to any heavy appliances. Also a van with a tail-lift would be extremely useful. Minimize heavy lifting where possible.
- Don’t be afraid to ask friends and family for help on the big day, some may only be too happy to lend a hand. More hands the better, especially if it’s a rainy day like our moving day was.
- Moving house is a good time to have a sort out/de-clutter. If honest with ourselves we are all guilty of owning a junk draw or cupboard? do you really want/need to take all that with you?
- Take time out for a short break, have a drink, rest and recharge. Don’t forget to eat otherwise you will burn all energy.
- The key to a successful move that we found was organisation. Everyone had an allocated job so we all knew who was doing what. We swapped around during the day so we all took turns to help with the heavy lifting, it also gave us the chance to have a much welcomed rest from it.
If you are moving into a house that is in need of renovation works then perhaps self storage may be a safer option to help protect your belongings whilst works are carried out.
Please follow and like us: